Wednesday, October 5, 2016

OVEN ROASTED OKRA FRIES RECIPE

OK...so here is our first experiment with our okra harvest...of course, getting 2nd Man to actually like okra is a different story.  He promised to go into this with an open mind.  He still made a face though...


We had a big basket of okra (and a few jalapeƱos).  First thing I did was rinse them and pat them dry...


Then I chopped off the ends and tips, and sliced them lengthwise...


I drizzled them with olive oil and sprinkled with salt.  I went for simple this first time, but you could use any type of seasoning at this point...hot pepper, garlic, onion powder, cajun seasoning, whatever you like.  Then just move them around to make sure they are well coated.

Okra fries
Place them on a foil lined baking sheet in a preheated 450 degree oven...


...and bake them for about 30 minutes (that's how long I did ours), stirring them around occasionally.  Right after I took them out, I sprinkled with just a bit more salt, just to make sure they had a taste.

Oven roasted okra fries
What you end up with is this.  They are mostly dried, a combination of crispy crunchy but still somewhat soft.  You can bake them longer to dry them out a bit more but I liked how they came out being some crispy, some parts a bit tender.  Kind of like french fries in the oven, smaller ones get crispy, larger ones have crispy edges and tender centers.  You could easily let them go another 10 minutes to get them crispier.  It's really just whatever you like.

2nd Man really liked them.  Our only problem is that they were gone much too quickly! Of course I DID have to sample them as I was cooking... I mean, chef's prerogative, right? 

Again, we're experimenting with what we like and how to use the bounty the next time we grow them and this use will definitely go on the list.

Overall, a good choice.  
Enjoy!

19 comments:

  1. Love oven fried okra.
    It took me awhile to find, but here is the recipe that I use in making okra fries (omitting the tabasco sauce tho)
    http://steelehousekitchen.com/oven-fried-okra

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love okra. i think i have a recipe on my blog for okra fritters. they sure are good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okra fritters? Off to check that out. We're definitely having it next year, it did so well.

      Delete
    2. I searched your blog and couldn't find them. :-(

      Delete
  3. This would certainly resolve the "slime" factor ... Interesting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ack! bleck! i still hate them! but love that you made your recipe yours...and love the 2 of you! keep that blecky okra to yourself - bahahahahah!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You made me laugh out loud! OK, as my dad used to say "that's more for me!", HA! Luv to you both!

      Delete
  5. I love okra! Next year if you plan on freezing any, you might want to try my MIL's method. (So glad she taught me this before she passed) Wash and cut the okra like you would fro frying. Dredge it in self rising cornmeal. Put it in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake at 350 about 5 minutes. Put it on a clean baking sheet and stick it in the freezer until the individual okra pieces are frozen (takes a couple of hours) then bag it in freezer bags and freeze for several months. To cook heat your oil in a cast iron skillet and cook until it is golden and delicious. I have been doing it this way for at least 20 years and it hasn't failed me yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are wonderful for sharing this...love the par cooking and freezing for later frying. This is great, thanks!!!

      Delete
  6. The slime is so closely tied with the taste in my mind, that nothing would improve them! I might try this for exbf when people give me okra. Sorry, you lost me at okra.

    Practical Parsimony

    ReplyDelete
  7. I fix them like that, but I do not slice them. Roast them whole. They are delicious. Heck, I can eat them when they get a little slimy too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never thought about that, will try that next time. Thanks!!!

      Delete
  8. Thanks for this recipe. I usually make okra gumbo and fried breaded okra - now I have another way to use it. This looks really good.

    Recently a friend was in my garden and he picked a small okra pod, about 1.5 inches long, and ate it. I tried one too and it was really good - crunchy and very fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Truly and quite simply, excellent! Geo

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!