Sunday, October 2, 2016

THE WEEKEND SO FAR


No mowing needed, yay, this is what it looked like this weekend after mowing last weekend.  There might only be one more mowing this season, but if not much rain, there might not be any more.  Also, no horse in 2nd Family's back pasture, they have moved her to their front pasture.   Boo!   :-)


I spend most of the day working in the garden beds, more on that tomorrow.  I thought you might like this picture.  What is this?  This is one of the okra stalks, the base of it after I cut it down, this was the base at ground level that I had to dig out with a shovel.  It's like a tree trunk!!  

Will definitely grow okra next Summer.


These garden spiders are in several spots in the garden.  As long as they aren't in my way of where I need to be to plant something, I leave them alone and let them do their thing.


And I found a great use, temporarily, for one of the 'found chairs' we got.  I moved it into the garden and wow, I never knew what I was missing by not having a chair in there, ha.  I even used it to sit and work the raised beds while leaning over in the chair.  They'll still end up painted and in a special area for 2nd Man and I to sit and enjoy but it makes me realize a chair in the garden is a good thing.

More later, hope you are having good weekend!


12 comments:

  1. my spouse has a combo padded garden kneeler/sitter. yeah, as ya age ya gotta sit! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya. I'm thinking something like that might be smart as well.

      Delete
  2. Hooray fro no mowing! More time to do all the other chores, right? BTW I love the idea of a garden seat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to find a special seat for me, but until then, this will work.

      Delete
  3. The chair--the reason I have two swings, three benches, two chairs, a picnic table and two folding lawn chairs in my yard. As the years went by, I kept adding things so I could sit down as I walked around or worked. Only the picnic table and one of the swings were new or full price.

    We all need a place to recharge, survey the accomplishments, see what needs to be done, plan, read directions, soak up nature. I love that chair!
    Practical Parsimony

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Recharge/survey/plan/soak up nature....I like the way you think. I am seeing the need for seating all over. I understand better now, ha.

      Delete
  4. I love garden spiders. Definitely help with the bug population!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, these are not venomous (we've had some black widows, yikes!) but these do keep down the other bugs. Thanks!!

      Delete
  5. That looks like new okra growth. I would had cut it away from the stalk or cut the stalk just above or below the new growth; planted it in a pot just to see if it would grow.
    Wanted to mention: Never, ever trim your okra plants no matter how tall they grow. Plants can grow over 6 feet tall if conditions, soil is right and well cared for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was new growth, but man, that stalk/stem was huge and the roots were so deep and widespread not much I could have planted. But I will definitely try that next season. Didn't trim them, just cut them down when they slowed down in producing, plus i needed the bed for Fall garden but next year, I'm going to put them on the other side as I expand the irrigation over to that side. Then I can leave them the whole season and into Fall to see how long they produce. :-)

      Delete
  6. I love how your friends support you in your life! They're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are aren't they? We appreciate all our blog friends. And as far as support, none so much as you have. Thank you sweet Alison, we love ya!!!

      Delete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!