Wednesday, July 28, 2021

MOWING PHASE ONE

It's the little things in life, LOL.  

First of all, check this out:


The guy at the shop said he'd put some of the debris that was in the fuel tank into a little baggie for us and here it is.  WHAT THE HECK?  We have NO idea how this got INTO the fuel tank. The only thing we can think is over the years perhaps debris from the fuel can fell in.  Now one time, I DID mow with the gas cap off after filling it, but only for a few feet.  It's possible something got in then.  Otherwise it's a sealed system.

When I started it, it was definitely smoother and seemed not as loud as it has been.

I decided to do it a bit differently this time because it was so high in places.  I turned on the blades but raised the mowing deck all the way up.  This cut the grass but wasn't close to the ground.  It also didn't mulch it all up but overall, it did a great job.  My plan is to go over it again this weekend like "normal" and hopefully that will get it back to the way it normally is and in this hot Summer, not much more mowing.


Here is the area off the porch, before...


...and the same area after.  Still some tidying up to do, but not too bad. 



Here are the numbers...about normal for most mowing weekends that I've done.

Another before and after:


The front yard from the porch before...looks OK but the grass is REALLY tall...


...and here it is after.  Heck, I might keep mowing with the deck up for awhile, it's easier and doesn't look bad.

Look at this from the mowing app:


The last full mowing of everything was on June 12th.  Yesterday was July 27th.  That's six weeks!  The mowing on June 19th was when it started acting up and I didn't finish.  Then I tried again on the 26th and only got the driveway done.  On the 3rd, it only went a few minutes before it died and they picked it up after that.

It was hot but there was a slight breeze and all was good.  This weekend is supposed to be really hot.  I hope to get some edging done and pull up those weeds in the garden but we'll see how everything else goes.

Now it's back to work after a day in the country.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, Yuck! No wondering your mower was running like crap; Not a good thing not having the cap on. It just doesn't take much to get junk in the line and into the tank.
    At least it's back and running better anyway.
    Actually; from my point of few, I think your yard looks better than cutting it so short. Granted you will probably have to mow more often, but I do think it looks better. As it gets closer to Fall and if no rain for awhile, you may not have to mow quite as often.

    Hey, don't forget to shut your barn door. :} (don't want any birds or other critters getting in there) (I know, you already done so after you put the mower back inside.)

    Enjoy your day. Have a great evening and a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's so much healthier for your grass to mow it high and leave the clippings. you might have to mow more often but it will look so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a difference between the before and after pictures! It looks great. I know it was a relief to get the yard finally mowed.
    The stuff that came out of your gas tank is amazing – there’s leaves, seed pods, little sticks. I never would have thought that size of things would be in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I have said before--mowing low encourages the weeds and harms the grass. Only the to third needs to be mown. Mowing low stresses the grass and the weed seeds love to find a tiny bare space to sprout. Grass should only have the top third cut off.

    I suppose you should wipe off the gas can nozzle from now on. One guy mowed my whole yard with the gas cap off MY mower.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad that there were no problems from weather or the machine when doing the cutting, Roderick

    ReplyDelete
  6. The mowed areas look nice. I'm still struggling to mow because of the mud. My vanilla beans arrived today. Now I need to get the bottle of vodka. Hope I can refrain from drinking it before I can put it to better use.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!