Friday, April 1, 2022

THIS YEAR'S BIRTHDAY CAKE

2nd Man asked me what kind of birthday cake I wanted last weekend and I said "surprise me".  He loves when I say that because it means he can experiment and I don't mind a food experiment. 


As cakes go, this one was pretty amazing.  The frosting was a whipped version and he did a great job putting it on.  He always finds flaws in his work but I thought it was beautiful.  The taste was great too, it's a new recipe made with mascarpone and sugar and cream...and it was perfect.  Mildly sweet and not as overly rich as a buttercream can be.

As for the inside of the cake...


...glorious chocolate.  I told him it looked like a reverse Oreo ha.  The cake was moist and had a deep, rich chocolate flavor.  The frosting was the perfect compliment to the cake.  It was awesome.

It was a modified recipe that he has used before but when I asked him to put it up here on this post, he said he wanted to make a couple of small changes.  I thought it was pretty much perfect.  But hey, that just means he has to make it again.

I won't complain...

19 comments:

  1. Mmmm..."deep rich chocolate" is my favorite. He can practice that on me. That is a beautiful cake. I can see no flaws. Besides, my taste buds and stomach do not care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks for that. Yes I tell him that all the time, he can practice food ideas on me anytime ha.

      Delete
  2. I wholeheartedly concur...but if 2nd Man insists on practicing with this recipe...so be it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a beautiful cake. He should be proud of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I told him that too. He's been feeling all the love from these comments, thank you!

      Delete
  4. Not only is the interior luscious looking, but 2nd Man's decorating skills are quite nice, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is Outstanding. That is pretty enough to use as a small wedding cake. All the layers are all so evenly shaped and just the right amount of frosting / icing between each layer. 2 thumbs up along with a 5 star rating.
    Now, 1st Man, was there enough room for all your candles? :}
    Remember , the more candles you have, the Bigger your wish. :}
    2nd Man; you done a great job in decorating. You need to take up a 2nd job in cake decorating.
    Now, how soon do U need to place my order? :}
    You both have a wonderful evening and a fantastic weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is kind of wedding cake looking. It was just very well done. And um, no, not enough room for XX number of candles, LOL! Call now, operators are standing by...oh wait, nope, they all just left, ha. For you, anything!

      Delete
  6. What a treat!! That cake looks absolutely perfect! I cannot wait until he shares the recipe with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll make sure it shows up here. Thank you!!

      Delete
  7. Wow, what a cake! It looks sooo delicious! And it’s deep, rich chocolate. 2nd Man decorated it beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the look of it. Thank you. Yes, it was so chocolatey and rich, wonderful.

      Delete
  8. I think you married a master chef and baker! He does amazing things with food. Cake is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I think so too. Thank you, you're so sweet.

      Delete
  9. Send me a piece of that cake, honey. It's beautiful and I know it's delicious. Happy Birthday!

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, bring sweet cheeks and come on by! LOL! Thank you sweet lady!!!

      Delete
  10. I caught the picture of this in your blog sidebar and and to come admire. I love the idea of a whipped frosting on chocolate cake. Buttercream is traditional, but it's way too sweet. This cake looks perfect. Belated Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!