Thursday, June 2, 2022

GARLIC HARVEST COMING SOON

A couple of you asked about the garlic and we promised an update.  Here it is this past weekend:


It's about time to harvest.  The general rule of thumb is once the lower third of the leaves start browning, stop watering and wait a week to harvest.

Here are links to the last two times we harvested garlic.  



We didn't do it in 2020 because we missed the deadline for ordering and then the pandemic hit the next year and the place we order from didn't have them.  So this is  our first in a couple of years.

I watered this past weekend but that will be it. We'll harvest next weekend and ironically it will be almost the same day that we harvested it the last time.  This has a been a weird year of weather so...fingers crossed.





 

10 comments:

  1. I just got mine out of the ground yesterday.
    I don't use all that much garlic so I just planted a very small patch.
    We had a light rain shower early this morning and having a very light sprinkle at the moment. Will accept what Mother Nature gives us.
    Have an enjoyable day and a wonderful evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's about that time in these parts. Hope you got some good sized garlic heads. We LOVE garlic so yeah we go big, ha. Didn't rain at the farm today but we had a monsoon downpour at work here in Houston for about an hour. Then it was gone.

      Delete
  2. I love homegrown garlic. It will be about another week or two before ours is ready.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They should stay in the ground about six months or so and we planted in November so May is it about usual. Hope we get some good ones.

      Delete
  3. They look great but can I ask, why do you buy new every year rather than saving some of your bulbs for planting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we are going to try that this year. In years past we weren't sure about how much we'd get, and then keeping some to hold over until planting we weren't sure if we'd do it right. But that's on our plan for this year if this crop gives us plenty. We can't wait to try it out.

      Delete
  4. This is my first year growing garlic, inspired by your successive harvests. So I've been watching for the right time to harvest my crop. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it works for you too. It's about the right time now in these parts of Texas. I'm going to pull it this weekend and see how it goes.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. It's really an easy crop. You stick the cloves in some soil. water occasionally and in six months that one clove should become a large head. I bet you could even do it in pots/containers.

      Delete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!