Wednesday, March 15, 2023

EASY OVEN BAKED BBQ RIBS

When we posted our rib dinner a couple weeks ago, a few people reached out to ask about it.  We have posted the recipe/technique once before but here's an update.


I use two racks of baby back ribs.  Remove the silverskin on the underside.  It's tricky but makes them easier to eat in the end.


I coat each side with a rub, you can use any flavor/brand/combo you like.  We don't have a go to homemade blend but this time I used a combo of a Cajun rub for some heat and Jack Daniels Pork Rub (Amazon link).  Then I put them in a large pan, meaty side up.  We get the extra large disposable foil pans, a pack of two, and one fits two racks perfectly.  Instead of them resting on the bottom of the pan, I put some silicone racks in the bottom.

Pour a can of coke in the bottom (this is the moisture).  Don't pour over the ribs, you'll wash off the rub.  Also add in a tsp of liquid smoke.  Cover tightly with foil.

Make sure it's sealed well, you want them to keep in all that moisture and heat.  Put them in a 350 degree oven for two hours.  Don't peek!


When the timer goes off, remove the foil (be careful when you open it, lots of steam and heat).  Here they are after the two hours (you can see the silicone racks better here).  Now comes the last step.


Grab a bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce, we love Sweet Baby Ray's original, and pour it over (or spoon it on).


Turn the oven up to 450 while you spread the sauce all over.  I use a silicone spatula to spread it all over (they are still hot of course).  You only need to do the top part side though if you're careful, your spatula or brush can find its way underneath.  At this point they are almost falling apart tender.

Put the pan, uncovered, back in the oven for 20 minutes or until your desired color.


Here they are done.  I like to bump it up to broil for about 5 minutes at the end and get that char-grilled look and taste.  I took these to a dinner once and people thought I had them on the grill all day.

I considered that a compliment. 


We make these and eat on them for two days.  We spilt a rack on each meal.  Here's a serving, a 1/2 rack of ribs with homemade coleslaw and pickled onions.

SO DELICIOUS.

It's become our tradition now on Daytona 500 race weekend and again on Fourth of July weekend.  It lets us have them a couple of times a year so we can look forward to them without overdoing it.



6 comments:

  1. Have made these using your recipe and they are Delicious; finger lick'n good.

    If a person don't have them silicone racks, use cooling racks that have been sprayed with cooking spray; which is what I use and they fit perfectly in them foil pans.
    Can also make a couple of foil rolls and lay them in; anything to keep the ribs from laying in that excess grease.
    I normally have coleslaw and steak fries with the ribs or baked potato.

    A grocery store here has, buy 1 get 1 free of the St. Louis Style Pork Spareribs so will be heading to the store tomorrow to get a few racks of ribs. They also have their Top Sirloin steak; buy1 get 1 free so will be getting that as well in making my homemade fajitas. ( getting my meals lined up for next week)

    Have a Great day along with an enjoyable evening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to admit that I have "rib envy" ... 😆

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those make me salivate! After the corned beef, I may have to cook ribs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I meat to say, I read--Easy Bake Oven Ribs. Wow, using only a light bulb?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a delicious meal! Cooked to perfection! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use the "foil roll" method Colleen mentions for a rib rack. It keeps the meat out of the fat and is disposable. No greasy cookware to wash! I also oven roast my ribs at 275. Low and S-L-O-O-O-O-O-W, for at least 4 hours. The meat falls off the bone when you look at them!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!