Friday, August 25, 2023

SO CLOSE BUT SO FAR AND BONUS HOBART

 Tropical Storm Harold...swirled up in the Gulf of Mexico and made a beeline for South Texas.  It teased us with the potential of rain to break the drought but...


It went into South Texas and all the rain was down there.  Yesterday, Houston tied the all time highest temperature recorded on this date, 109.  Then last night, a pop up thunderstorm brought rain to the airport (where they have the instruments for the weather stats) and it broke the drought of no rainfall for 48 days.  It did not rain at the farm though, so we are closing in on 50 days out there without rain.  That's almost two months with not a drop of water falling from the sky.  Crazy.  

Next week there is a glimmer of hope...


But not much...Tuesday there is a 30% chance of rain or thinking the other way, a 70% chance it won't rain, ha.  Of course, there is the heat...100whatever...102, 103, 105, 106, 107...maybe higher.  It's HOT.


Hobart just sleeps like a baby on one his special blankets.  We've always loved when he sleeps and covers his face with his front leg arm.

Hobart also says "COME ON FALL!"

9 comments:

  1. That is how I slept for years--with my hand/arm over my eyes. I am glad you have ac for Hobart. That is a long time without rain. I suppose your plants are surviving with watering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are making it. I go out every weekend just to water them. The ones on the porch do well because they are shaded, the fruit trees and bushes I water heavily. So far so good.

      Delete
  2. Not crazy, is Texas.. I'm past 80 and remember cracks in the ground 3 feet deep late '50's, early '60's.. Then it RAINED

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll rain again soon for sure. It always does, ha.

      Delete
  3. such crazy weather everywhere. and we have a plague of lanternflies like you wouldn't believe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lanternflies? We'll have to look that up. Not sure if we have those here. Hope you have that over soon.

      Delete
  4. right here in my area we haven't had any measurable rainfall since the middle of May.
    Have had a few............very few sprinkles every now and then but wasn't enough to get the rain gauge wet. We do have some cracks that are more than 3 feet deep; along with nice size holes. Just have to watch when walking around in the yard, of which I haven't done for awhile now. I know someday we will be blessed with a nice shower of rain. Just a matter of time.
    Have a wonderful weekend
    Keep Cool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The farm had rain in early June but I think that was it. There will come soft rains...as the poem goes. Hang in there and stay inside where it's cool and safe.

      Delete
  5. I was hopeful that we might get some rain from TS Harold but nothing. Fruit trees and plants are suffering but hanging on. The grass is surviving in some places and that's with being watered. The extreme heat is just baking everything.
    Cute Hobart with his paw covering his eyes. He needs a sleeping mask!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!