Tuesday, November 26, 2013

COMPOST TOOLS


What in the heck are these?

Closeup of compost turner and how it works
No, they are not the latest in zombie killing tools from an upcoming episode of The Walking Dead TV show.  No, they are a pair of "Compost Turners" that I bought when we got our bins last month.  They were out at the time and I went ahead and bought them and just picked them up the other day.

Here is how they work:

Compost Turner by Orbis
You push it down into the compost pile, and as it goes in, the hinged end closes so it travels downward into the compost.  Then when you pull up on it, the hinged head opens up and creates resistance so that it mixes the compost, or turns it, as you pull up.  You simply do this several times up and down.  We bought two because we figured we might spend half our time walking back and forth to each compost bin as we forget the turner...plus if one fails, we'll at least have a backup.


These are made by the same company that helped sponsor the bin and rain barrel sale with the city, But at the link above, you can see that several different types are sold via Amazon.  You never know, it could be a neat gift for someone you know that has a compost bin.

DON'T FORGET TO ENTER THE BOOK GIVEAWAY.
CLICK HERE TO ENTER. NOW CLOSED

5 comments:

  1. My dentist has the very same tool!!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to laugh at Jane and Chris's comment above... but man, I could use a tool like this! Maybe after Christmas spending....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are on my Christmas List!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen compost turners before. Kinda cool really. I've always used a pitchfork.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow these are cute compared to our Large Compost Turners

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!