Sunday, November 3, 2013

VINTAGE POSTER SUNDAY, PAPER METAL BONES

Put out your paper metal and bones, vintage poster image courtesy of US National Archive
Don't rile up those housewives, LOL.

This poster is from WWII and as so many of the time were, brings up conservation.  This time they want paper and metal, which I understand but then they ask for bones?  I am curious how bones factor into making all those products?  I'm guessing it's perhaps for ammunition, but I'm not sure I want to Google search "how to make ammunition" out of bones, no telling who might show up knocking on my door.

Anyway, as usual, I think it's amazing how much the government did to get people involved in helping the war effort.

UPDATE:  Found this after some Googling..."Bones were made into glue for airplane construction as well as being used in munitions".

Hope you are having a great weekend.  We skipped the farm yesterday, needed a day off to just go shopping and do some fun stuff, not to mention let the water drain away out there.  But as this posts, we'll be there, checking on things and seeing what can be done, if anything, in the yard.

13 comments:

  1. I am kind of glad I wasn't a woman back then. I could NOT have worn high heels all day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I can imagine. Well, I guess I CAN'T imagine but I would assume it wouldn't be pleasant, ha.

      Delete
  2. I wouldn't mess with the women in that poster!
    I'm guessing that bones were used to make glue.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do look like they were on a mission huh? And yeah, I thought about that after I posted it and googled and that is most likely what it was used for, though the article I found mentioned munitions as well. Yikes! :-)

      Delete
  3. Even the dog looks ferocious! What do you think the "metal" woman is contributing? Is it drapery rings??
    I really enjoy these posters :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I never noticed that but it DOES look like a drapery rod turned flagpole huh? Ha, that is too funny! And the dog does look intense as well. Thanks, I still keep finding images of them, not sure how many more I'll be able to post, I'm guessing someday I'll run out, ha.

      Delete
  4. The Bones were for the Glue Factory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, I did google that and yep that was one of the most common uses.

      Delete
  5. I thought glue at first, too. Then I realised I'm not actually really sure if that's the part of the animal they used to use to make glue with. I wondered if they might have been used for ballast, too but I'm definitely clutching at straws with that one, I think. Love how the dog is doing its bit by also bringing a bone along. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that's an interesting idea as well, ballast. I might have to do some more googling about that. Yes, the dog is participating, kind of neat they included that in the image.

      Delete
  6. I knew about the bones making glue. Years ago I worked for a recycling firm; I drove a lorry and collected cardboard boxes from factories, hessian sacks from farms and paper from offices and shops. One of my colleagues drove 'the bone lorry' and collected bones from slaughterhouses to take to 'the Glue Factory'. Oooohhh the awful smell!!! So glad I never had to do that job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bone lorry? Yikes, what a job that would be. You know, I do remember old sayings about 'sending horses to the glue factory'. Never knew what that meant but I'm guessing that had something to do with bones. YIKES again! Paper and metal would be fine, but I'm not sure I'd want to save bones.

      Delete
    2. One of my first jobs as a Chemist many, many years ago was testing samples from a slaughterhouse. I know too well that smell (gag gag gag). The samples would arrive after hours because it was so...um pungent. We could smell the truck when it pulled into the parking lot--it was that strong.

      Delete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!