Tuesday, June 28, 2016

RED GARDEN TRELLIS CAGES

  A couple of weeks or so ago, I posted a picture of some boxes of things that I had ordered.  Here is what some of them were...


These great, powder coated, red trellises.  I ordered the tomato towers (set of two) first.  Then we decided to go ahead and get some more so that we had them all matching (in case we can't find them later). The two tomato towers, a bean tower and a set of three eggplant/pepper cages.

Red Cucumber Trellis
Also got a 4 foot square cucumber trellis, you plant them seedlings at the base and as they grow up the trellis, the cukes hang down along the angle.

Red Eggplant Cages
I put in the eggplant cages (the eggplants were struggling, I think too much water but they have since perked up...

Red Tomato Cage
And when I first ordered the two tomato cages that started it all, the plants were small.  I thought I'd be able to put these up when I was out there.  

Oops!  Plants are too big now.  Sigh.  


The really great thing about these is that they fold completely flat!  Easy to move around and of course, easy to take down after the season is over and we can hang them up in the barn until the next time they are needed.







I found them at Gardeners Supply (images above courtesy of gardeners.com).  We don't get anything for mentioning them, just our own personal choice. They also sell the same ones at Amazon here (perhaps better shipping rates).

The reviews are really positive for them so we hope they do well for us.  Probably one of those cases where we'll have to use them for a full season to get a good evaluation but on first glance, they seem to be well constructed and look like they'll last for awhile.

Red Tomato Cage
Then this past weekend, when I stopped at the local Home Depot for some weedeater supplies, I found regular (though taller and sturdier) conical shaped tomato cages in the same red powder coated material!  I put them over the okra plants so they will have something to grow up and inside of. I'll pick up some more soon just to have them for future beds.

Since red is so prevalent at the farm in our inside decorating (and red barns/beehive/someday house), we figured why not make it all match, ha.


28 comments:

  1. The red cages are pretty. I don't think the okra will need a cage though, they are beautiful but very tough plants and very strong. Wear gloves when picking or the bristles will irritate you.
    I actually gave up on cages or stakes for the tomatoes. I grow heirlooms and tomatoes were originally a vine so I let them sprawl where they want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, it's been so long since i was around okra, I couldn't remember. My grandparents grew it all he time. I remember it begin tall. AND prickly, ha. I like the idea of letting toms spread naturally. Interesting! Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I love those cages and they would be very pretty for my limited backyard gardening

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figure if we want to have them, why not choose pretty, ha!!! Thanks!!

      Delete
  3. I love when people think about the aesthetics of their garden like that. Pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just like I said above, we have to think about how it all looks too. And we think they are pretty too. Thanks!!

      Delete
  4. If you're gonna have to have it anyway why not make it look nice. Good job. Functional AND pretty. The red is a nice pop in the green leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have them in other colors, but we liked the red. Appreciate it!!!

      Delete
  5. What a neat idea. They are very neat, and storage makes them even better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally Awesome looking.
    Beautiful addition to your garden

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice cages! I have similar square cages for the determinate tomatoes and they are so much better than the round ones. Like you, however, I think the round "tomato cages" are perfect for smaller plants like peppers & eggplant...they're just not that great when it comes to supporting tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, we are hoping for the same. I think both of our toms are determinate...hopefully it works well.

      Delete
  8. I love those, but my supports are more of the unmatched, shabby chic aesthetic. I have a similar wire something that I have kept because it looked like a good support for something. I decided to put it on the road. Now, I will keep it.

    Wear long sleeves with top buttoned and collar popped, socks and shoes plus gloves to pick okra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, nothing wrong with shabby sheik! We'll see how all this goes in a season or so.

      And yep, definitely covering up for the okra!

      Delete
  9. i have waited too long to cage tomatoes in the past. you can set them up in the empty spaces next to the tomatoes for this year and just tie the plants to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that's a great idea!!! Thank you for that!!!

      Delete
  10. I have the tomato cages and they are great. I bought them at Lowes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I wondered if they were at Lowes, I just stopped at HD because it was on the way. I love the bright pops of color!

      Delete
  11. "Fold Completely Flat" BBBbbbwwwahhahaha just you wait. They will not be straight and flat and polite all their lives. Word to the wise - When you hang them up this fall put a plastic cable tie or tie some twine somewhere at least a third of the way down or they will spring out and become unruly at just the wrong moment. Hang them on hooks and don't ever trust them to behave while leaning against a wall!

    Don't you just love those cucumber grids? I was so happy when I saw them on sale again and bought a second pair for my later planting. They work great and my vines are climbing them very well.

    Your garden is looking pretty snazzy and well equipped with all those nice supports.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Thank you for that heads up. Yeah I figure it might be too good to "stay" true, ha. I will definitely take your advice to heart. Thank you.

      Haven't used the cucumber grid yet, it might be a bit too late to plant seedlings but we'll see. We have a mild Fall, I could do it for then.

      Thank you for the advice and the kind words!

      Delete
  12. I love the red theme you have going at the Farm. Those vegetable cages look great and really sturdy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! They are a heavy metal so hopefully they'll last a while.

      Delete
  13. I thought those cages looked familiar. I was a big customer of Gardeners Supply when I had a veg garden. No more. Settlement today. New owners will have the benefit of the garlic I planted last fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you love Gardeners Supply? I could go crazy in there, ha.

      YAY for you! I know it's a relief, but it's bittersweet. Be sure and take lots of pics of things that you'll always want to remember of your beautiful home!

      Delete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!