Tuesday, October 11, 2011

HONEY FACTS

Honeycomb
I have had several people mention the benefits of eating local honey.  I was also told about the health properties of honey during my beekeeping class.  So I thought I'd share some interesting tidbits I learned during class and after doing a little online research:

  • Honey is a natural antiseptic and has antibiotic properties.  it can kill bacteria and germs and can be used to dress wounds and burns.  This makes them heal much faster.

  • Honey you consume that is harvested locally, near where you live, will help you develop a natural resistance to things that might normally cause you allergies.
  • Honey breaks up mucous and that's why it's recommended for coughs.  In fact, studies have shown that it's more effective than many over the counter cough medicines (and ALL NATURAL!)

  • Honey is easier to digest than sugar because it dissolves in the bloodstream so much faster.

  • Honey never goes bad.  It might crystallize, but once warmed up, it's edible, even two thousand years later. They found some in an Egyptian tomb and it was perfectly safe to eat.

  • Honey is sweeter than regular sugar.

  • Honey contains antioxidants including one found ONLY in honey.  This makes it very heart healthy.

  • Honey is the only food that contains all the substances necessary to sustain life, including water.
Wonderful, healthy honey
So get some fresh honey, preferably from a local provider.  If you must get something from the grocery store, look for a premium brand and check the ingredient label.  It should be 100% honey.  Believe it or not, much of the commercial stuff is diluted down with other sweeteners!

Honey is a good thing and I can't wait until we can produce our own.  Jennifer told us one good hive can produce up to 50 lbs of honey in a year.

That's a lot of jars of honey!
 
(WARNING:  Never, ever give honey to children/babies under 2 years of age.  Their bodies have not developed the proper immunity response to some of the spores that honey can contain)

 

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info. I was wondering about the local honey. Since I am home sick on the couch today, I will have to look into getting some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I could raise just one hive :o( I could do a lot with that honey and my diabetes ( so I'm told).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting facts. I didn't know a couple of them. We buy our local honey where the hives are kept, just two blocks from our house. You can't get any more local then that!

    My grandfather never used sugar only honey. He was never sick and lived well into his late 90's!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Kelly: Yes, they say people who eat local honey on a regular basis never have allergies. It apparently builds up a natural resistance in your system. Hope it helps (eventually)

    @Gingerbreadshouse7: I wish you could have some too! But I bet someone near you has a hive and some fresh honey. You might ask around. Of course it wouldn't be free as if you were doing it yourself. Although free is a relative term since you have to buy all the supplies, and hive, and beesuit, etc. You might be better off finding a local supplier, ha.

    @Robin: Yes, I learned alot too while doing research. It's a fascinating substance. There is even more, some a bit more scientific about the benefits in honey to our bodies, suffice to say it's a great, natural product I have a newfound respect for. My Grandfather ate a lot of honey in his food, now I think he also ate sugar, but he did eat a lot of honey and he lived to 91. My other grandfather, after his retirement, switched to eating healthier and consumed more honey in his diet and he's 95. Now I can't profess to say honey will help you live longer, but in my readings, I found there are aspects of honey (Royal Jelly for example) that, in tests, have lengthened the lives of laboratory mice. The way I look at it, it can't hurt! And if it helps in any of these ways, it's worth it! Thanks for commenting everyone (I love comments!)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!