Friday, April 17, 2015

ESSENTIAL BEEKEEPING TOOLS AND SUPPLIES


After much research, there are really, in my opinion, a few must have tools for the beginning beekeeper.  To help others who may have the same questions, here are my choices.

Of course you need BEES and the HIVES, click the links to read about those.

Kelley Bee Smoker
One is a SMOKER.  You will hear some beekeepers say they don't need a smoker.  Of course, I haven't even started using mine but after speaking with others and reading a lot of information, a smoker seems a necessity.  For those who've often wondered about a smoker and its purpose (I know I always did), what the smoke does to the bees is it makes them think there is a fire nearby and so they gorge themselves on honey in case of evacuation.  In essence, it does to them what Thanksgiving does to us...they get full and want to just lounge around and are happy with the world.  The bees are less likely to sting and are much more relaxed.

We got this brand, from Kelley Beekeeping.  We also got the metal case that holds it (it tends to get dirty, and hot).  This one has a wood board with leather on the bellows (the squeezie part) for the longest lasting under constant use and lots of heat.  I'll have a lesson on how to use it later in future updates.  

Hive Tool
The next essential tool has a simple name, a HIVE TOOL.  It might not look like much, and it might seem as if you could use a crowbar or a long flat head screwdriver...but they won't work as well as this (and will tear up your hive boxes while trying to use them).  So this is specifically used for beehives.  The flat end is used to pry open and/or apart the boxes and/or frames and the curved end is used for scraping as well.  Bees make a type of "glue", for lack of a better description, called propolis, and this tool helps you get through that.

Any beekeeping supply house will have these.  I actually ordered two of them (they are very inexpensive) just so that I'd always have one handy should I happen to leave one laying back at the barn or somewhere else.  

Bee Brush
The next tool is called a BEE BRUSH.  Just as the name implies, it is actually used for brushing away bees.  The bristles are VERY soft and they won't hurt the bees.  As with all things beekeeping, slow and gentle movements are recommended and this brush allows you to gently move bees out of the way, if they are clustered around a frame you need to remove for example.

Again, a very inexpensive tool, any beekeeping supply will have them.  We also bought two of these for the same reason we bought two hive tools.

Bee suit / veil
Even thought this isn't really a "tool", I feel that PROTECTIVE CLOTHING is a good thing to have.  The reason I think it's essential is its ability to make new beekeepers feel comfortable and with a bit of protection, we can focus on taking care of the bees.  I'll admit, I'm a bit of nervous about getting stung (I'm not allergic, have been stung several times in my life, just not anxious to do it on a regular basis).  So I ordered my suit by researching "best bee suit you can buy", ha.  I found, via many recommendations on forums, the Ultra Breeze Suit.  Be forewarned, it's not cheap, but it is also ventilated, important in our warm climate.  You don't have to get a full body suit like I did.  Any manufacturer will have hats with veils, just jackets for upper body protection, and of course, the full body suit that covers you from head to toe.  

 Of course, who's to say that in a few seasons, I might just not wear anything at all (well, let me rephrase that, not NUDE beekeeping, LOL) but for now, it makes me comfortable when working with them (wore a suit during some classes I took) and that's the most important thing.


Lastly, a FRAME LIFTER.  This is a hinge like device that you open and close by squeezing, much like a pair of tongs you might have in your kitchen.  They are made with small grips on the ends that can get between the frames in the hive box and allow you to easily lift them out.  If you have gloves on your hands, these are definitely handy (no pun intended).  

Hive tool box
In order to keep it all in one place, I found this beekeepers tool box that lets me keep as much together in one spot as possible.  It's made out of a box that you would normally use for moving bees.  It's got some add ons to hook tools onto.  You can use anything as a tool box of course but as with all things we do at the farm, we are starting from scratch so we can be organized from the beginning.

Hive tool box
Tomorrow (Saturday) is the big day!  We've had a LOT of rain the last few days.  Almost 4 inches in 3 days (and more predicted this afternoon).  However, tomorrow is supposed to be a lesser chance of rain so fingers crossed. 




11 comments:

  1. Your bee posts are really inspiring me to want to try beekeeping next year. I read stuff online and sometimes don't understand it all. You have done a great job and keeping it basic and simple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh. Excitement.
    And protective gear is a great idea. Better safe than sorry works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't always comment but I wanted to this time because you've obviously put a lot of time into these posts to help other beekeepers. You are very talented and as a 'someday' beekeeper myself, I am grateful to this. Keep them coming!

    And side comment, your new blog header is SO pretty. I love it.

    Jenny P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of keeping everything all together so it will be ready. This is exciting! It is very helpful to have pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i want this stuff just because it looks so cool! i can't wait for you to get the bees!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One other thing to remember. Be sure to pull your socks up around your pant legs or a rubber band around the bottom of your pants so they can't fly up your pants. Happened to my Dad the first time he tried to get the hives open. I still remember him streaking across the yard. Ha, ha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just going by the bee classes we took as I dont have hive yet... sighhh.... Your doing great! The bee brush use with caution. We watched a video in class of a person using a bee brush :O).... the instructor of our class was using this video as a what not to do with bees lesson ROFL... lots of folks use them he said... then showed us a bee instruction video with one being used. Just passing on what we saw. Not saying its a totally 100% bad thing. The other tools you purchased were highly suggested in our classes. The smoker is for sure a must have, well unless you don't mind angry bees LOL. Sometimes you just have to smoke them. I myself purchased one of the more expensive ventilated bee suits..full body with head cover. I figured why get stung if I didn't have to. Several people in class (which was down past you a bit), had this suit and said they had never got a sting through it. That was enough for me and the extra bit of money it cost didn't seem like a lot then. Plus as you say it was ventilated and for where we live and 100 plus degrees thats a super plus. I know there are a million ideas on how to do anything :O)... but seems to me your doing super! Again I have hive envy.. Next spring is my goal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. PS Kelleys was highly recommended by our instructor. Several of the people that I met that had bees and were in class just refreshing etc.. had used http://www.mannlakeltd.com/ as well and were really happy with them. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are really prepared! Great storage box that will keep everything organized and in one place. The thunderstorms have been awful tonight! Not a very friendly-Texas welcome for your poor bees :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1st Man,

    Getting closure for the arrival of your bees :-)
    I was in Atwoods Farm and Ranch store the other day, and found they have a section just for bee's with all the supplies. If you have one of these stores in your area, it maybe of interest to you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Back in the mid-1970's I met Walter T Kelly, he was at least 90. We went to the factory to pick up a new extractor, I rode with him in his pick-up truck down to the warehouse. He showed us his wax-works with one of a kind machinery that he had made.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!