Wednesday, April 1, 2015

OLD WATER HOSE BLADE PROTECTOR

So of course, those who follow the blog know that I ran over the garden hose the other day while mowing.  From what I understand, this is an annual rite of passage in early Spring for many.  I'm in the club.  Though come to think of it, a couple of years ago, I DID run over a shovel while on the mower.  Oops.  

Anyway, I blogged about it and one of our sweet followers, Colleen, posted a link in her comment to a website on how to use leftover water hose.  This is one of the first ideas I decided to use; a blade cover / blade protector for a few handsaws.  After all, we have lots of hose and only needed a few pieces.

Oops, cut up water hose
The first thing I did was lay one of the saws next to the hose and snipped off a piece to the right length (the same length as the sharp edge of the blade).

Using garden hose
Then I just took the clippers and sliced it lengthwise down one side.  Be sure to keep it only on one side.  With a flexible hose, it's easy to let your line get a bit off center and it won't work if the piece of hose has a twist in it.

Blade protector
Then you simply pull it open were the slit is that you just cut and slip the blade inside!  Be careful of course, blades are always sharp!  Voila!  That's it, you have a quick and easy blade cover that will keep you (or someone else) from getting hurt while re-purposing something you were going to throw away anyway.  

  I made three of these to cover two saw blades and a machete blade.  
With 75 feet of hose, we'll have plenty more to use for other projects.

NEAT!


17 comments:

  1. it makes the hose accident a bit tolerable when you can re-purpose it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! So if it ever happens again, I'll have more options, ha.

      Delete
  2. A great way to recycle hose pipe.
    Rosezeeta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it? I hate throwing something away if it can be reused and it looks like there might be some other fun things to do with old hose.

      Delete
  3. I use three pieces of hose, each about 8 feet long to mitigate the river that forms, as rain washes my front yard into the back yard. I use large landscape pins to hold it in place. Mowers won't pull it up. However, I look at the guy, point to the hoses, tell him NOT to move them, pointing out there are metal pins holding them down. I walked into the house, turned and looked out the window just in time to see the guy rip out all three just as fast and hard as he could. The pins went flying. Now, I have to use a magnet to find them. But, the hoses do help stop the erosion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm sorry that happened to you but the idea of using them for erosion prevention is great! Thanks!!

      Delete
  4. I've never seen that. I do use my old hose though. My primary way is to use it to stake a tree. I put the wire though the hose to protect the bark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that idea too! That's a great thing to protect the delicate bark. Thanks!!!

      Delete
  5. Great use of a gardening accident casualty! I looked up that site and it had some good ideas. I also liked the use of a piece of hose to cushion a bucket handle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, there are some neat things on there and that bucket handle is a great idea.

      Delete
  6. Good way of repurposing things like this instead of going to the landfill.
    I large section of hose is also good when laying out a flower or vegetable bed or even a path way. Just lay your hose where you want it and with a can of bright colored spray paint, spray along the outside of the garden hose line and you have your bed all marked on where you want to dig, lay timbers or whatever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well dang, that's a great idea as well. Makes doing a free form design much easier because we can see how different it might look by moving it around. Cool. Thanks!!!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Yep, just about the simplest thing I can think of to do with it. We still have more hose left, I'll have to see what else we can do with it. :-)

      Delete
  8. I am still using the result of my garden hose debacle. I also cut small lengths to use as hand guards on pail handles, to protect my live electric fence from metal t-posts - it almost (!) pays to run over a garden hose once in a while! I had not thought of this use but will sure use it.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!