Wednesday, April 8, 2015

OVEN ROASTED BRUSSELS SPROUTS WITH BACON RECIPE

For some reason, our Thanksgiving post showing dinner has had several people email to ask us about our roasted brussels sprouts (I think it ended up on Pinterest).  They were very good and couldn't be easier...here is all we did.




We started with fresh on the stalk brussels sprouts.  They are much cheaper to buy on the stalk like this, but you can buy them already cut off...just get as many as you think you'd eat.  The missing picture here is frying some bacon in a skillet (1/2 lb or as much as you prefer).


We crumbled the cooked bacon and set it aside, reserving some of the fat.  Next, we put the brussels in a single layer on a baking sheet, sprinkled them with salt and pepper to taste, and instead of olive oil, drizzled them with the bacon drippings.
Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
Then we put the sheet pan in an oven preheated to 400 degrees and roasted for about 35 minutes, or until starting to crisp on the outside. Remove from oven and add the crumbled bacon, toss, and put back in for another 5 to 7 minutes.

Remove and enjoy!  

We have these often, it's one of my favorite veggies.  We think this can make even the most ardent brussels sprouts hater into a fan.


17 comments:

  1. Bacon cures everything! Though I lean more into the vegetarian arena these days, I will still have a little bacon every now and then. Lucky you to find brussel sprouts on the stalk. I have tried growing them with little luck. My little garden plot is a sandhill. I keep trying to amend it and one of these days I may have a rich little plot to plant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it sure does huh? I would love to grow them here but they are fussy plants, so I stick with the store bought, ha.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the recipe! This is the best kind - delicious and easy to make. 2nd Man deserves another gold star!

    ReplyDelete
  3. we love these! i make them the same way and then drizzle them with some balsamic glaze and some thinly shaved strips of parmesan cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not a big fan of the stinky little cabbages but I LOVE bacon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not tempted. My mother told me I couldn't be a vegetarian because I don't like brussel sprouts. She was wrong.
    Her habit of boiling them to death and beyond might have had something to do with it, but they are firmly on my off list. And bacon doesn't improve them in my eyes. Glad you enjoyed them though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the recipe but there is no way that I would be able to get my hubby to eat Brussels Sprouts. I always tell him; ' don't say eew until you chew. ' :} nether words, don't say you don't like something unless you try it first.

    Whenever I prepare bacon, I save all the bacon grease, store in empty butter container, sour cream container or whatever I have handy and store it in the freezer. Whenever I fry eggs or potatoes, I just scoop out a little bacon grease and fry my eggs or fried potatoes in it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unless you have tasted a really fresh Brussels sprout, you don't know what you are missing. Most supermarket sprouts are old and strong tasting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love Brussels sprouts roasted like this... but I also like them with a little lemon juice, olive oil, pepper and shaved Parmesan. Now I'm getting hungry...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great recipe. I do like to serve Brussels sprouts roasted but have used butter/olive oil and garlic. Haven't tried the bacon. Pinned it so I remember.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, those who don't like them, I promise you don't know what you're missing. they have to be done right, and they are so so good. This is pretty close to how we cook ours but I never thought about the bacon fat. doesn't that make everything better? Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look yummy. I remember seeing the on the stalk sprouts the first time, I had no idea what it was, haha. Had never seen them like this. They do have a fresher less strong taste. Like the idea of bacon. Like marcia above, I usually use garlic and olive oil. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That picture made my jaws hurt because it looks soooo delicious. I love Brussels sprouts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 1st Man,

    We have Brussels sprouts every now and then. I'm going to have to try your recipe it looks delicious. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds delicious! I will have to bookmark this for when Brussels sprouts are in season!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!