Saturday, April 18, 2015

BEE ARRIVAL DAY

As this posts, I will be driving about 70 miles NW of Houston to get our girls.  We ordered from R Weaver Apiaries.  The variety that we chose is called BUCKFAST, an Italian strain known for being gentle with long lived queens and are great honey producers.


After picking them up, and watching a live demo, I will drive straight to the farm and start our "installation process".  That's what putting the bees and their queen into their new home is called.  This will be a whole new, very unique, experience, probably the singular most exciting part of the process other than honey extraction that will happen later in the year.  

I'll be sure to document it all.


Hope you are having a good start to the weekend!  Might not have the photos up tonight, but I'll at least give an update and let you know how it all went and that I am still alive.  


6 comments:

  1. Sooo exciting! Can’t wait to see the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to come by to see how it was going. I followed the link and Buckfast sounds like a wonderful choice.

    My hiving went well, except after I pulled the syrup can out there was no queen cage! Turns out it had come unfastened and dropped to the bottom. That stumped me a bit but all is well now and my Italian ladies seem to like their new home. Looking forward to your pics and details.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope all goes smoothly. We've heard about a LOT more rain in your area again. Hopefully the worst is past you and you won't have high water anywhere to deal with. Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woo-Hoo.
    I have seen there is a further post as well. Off to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here we go...now it all becomes real.

    ReplyDelete
  6. his is exciting!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!