Thursday, May 5, 2022

COMMERCIAL SHEET PANS TRASH TO TREASURE

 Regular readers know that I have a favorite place to look for bargains...our downstairs trash area!  Our building has trash chutes on every floor and they feed into a separate room, but for boxes and other things that people can't put in the chute, there is an area (indoor) near the loading dock where people can put the things they don't want.  I've found quite a few cool items over the last few years.

Here is one of the latest!


OK...so here is a score that I missed out on more of.  I went downstairs on my normal reconnaissance mission and there was a stack of probably ten or so really large sheet pans.  They were all stacked together.  I thought "hmm, 2nd Man might really like these" so I grabbed two (carrying all would have been hard without our small cart (we use for groceries).  I carried them up and he said "those are awesome but they probably won't fit in our oven.  They are full size sheet pans and made for commercial ovens.


I wish you could see how big they are.  I got the tape measure out and they are 26 inches long and 18 inches wide.  Sure enough, I tried to put one in the oven and it wouldn't fit.  A quick Google search shows that full sized sheet pans won't fit in most home ovens.  Oh well, it was a nice gesture.  Then 2nd Man said "maybe we could repurpose them and you could use them for gardening, maybe as trays on a potting bench or something?  Or maybe for craft projects?"  I thought those were great suggestions and there were eight more just waiting for me downstairs!  I got the small cart, hopped in the elevator and went downstairs.

GONE!

Someone else had beaten me to the rest.  Sigh.  Oh well, at least  I scored these two.  They are at the farm awaiting a use.

Any suggestions?




17 comments:

  1. I do have some of them larger baking pans that my daughter gave me when she worked at the donut shop and was giving them away to anyone who wanted them and I use them for a number of things; especially when I buy meat in bulk. The make great trays for cutting up chickens, dividing up hamburger tubes,,. I also use them to place my cooling racks on when I bake, etc. etc. Great for caring items to put in our large freezer that we have in my she shed.
    Even nice to use as a large TV tray.
    Too bad you didn't get all that they had and give away some to friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had gotten the others but oh well, two is still good. We love the idea of cutting up chickens and bulk meat, we do so much bulk stuff and will do much more when we have more freezer space, good ideas. Also like the idea of carrying stuff with them.

      Delete
  2. I was going to buy another large pan for the oven, but ending up with one that is too large. I use it when doing anything on my lap sitting in my recliner. I have peeled potatoes on them, glued items. On the top of the stove, I can perform tasks without crumbs falling into the eyes. If you are working on a potting bench, you can carry away man seedlings to plant. I would not leave them out, just load up a pan to move items. I love you found those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, that's a good idea too, sort of a lap tray. Like that! And a potting bench great use too. Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Nice find! And you already have some great suggestions for using them.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have similar trays that I use for wet, muddy boots so they can dry off on the tray and protect the floor.
    KJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, love that we asked for ideas, got so many. This is so smart too, I didn't mention that they are also deep (ish) and so yep that makes sense. Thanks!

      Delete
  5. You could put one under the kitchen sink in case of leaks, or to put cleaning supplies on. It would then be easier to remove if you need to work under there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang, another great idea!!! Smart, thank you much!!

      Delete
  6. A full size sheet pan is a great bread kneading, biscuit making type pan. The flour needed to keep food from sticking is contained and you can knead or pound to your hearts content without making a mess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another great idea! Gosh we love our readers who help us think outside the box, ha.

      Delete
  7. Depending how large your refrigerator is friends place these pans on the glass refrigerator shelves and put all their refrigerator items on the pan Easier to clean the pan than the glass
    shelves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, thanks! Our fridge at the apartment is not big enough but at the previous house and at the farm eventually, we'll have a French door fridge and that sheet pan would definitely fit. Thanks!

      Delete
  8. What a great find! I know 2nd Man would have loved it if they were oven size - those heavy-duty pans are great for baking and cooking.
    But since they are too big for your oven, here is another good use for these large sheet pans - they would be great when you are canning. You could assemble all of your supplies from storage and carry them into the kitchen. You could use it as a processing tray for the fruits and vegetables you are canning, then take the scraps out to the compost pile. Then cover them with a cloth and let your hot filled jars, fresh out of their hot water bath, cool on the pans. After cooling and wiping off, you can transport them on the pans to their hutch or storage area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG yes, canning! Love that idea. It's smart to use it to gather up stuff from where it's stored and bring it to where yo need it and canning supplies are one of those things. Thank you!

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. What a good idea this is too. It's deep enough that it will keep water in when watering etc. Thanks so much!

      Delete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!