Wednesday, August 31, 2022

HARVESTED SOME PEARS

So, in between other things at the farm last weekend, we decided it was time to harvest some of the pears on our "wild kieffer pear tree".


As you can see they are weighing down some of the branches and of course they are kind of high up.


I decided to use this grabber stick that I've had for years.  Side note, they are very helpful around the house.  I got it when I hurt my back years ago and we both still use it for odd jobs around the house.

I also brought out one of the plastic crates from a trash to treasure find.


I used the grabber to gently bend the branches down so I could reach them and I also used it to pull off some of the ones higher up.  It worked great!  We know they have some special tools for doing things like this but hey, for now, it worked just fine.


We ended up getting about three dozen.  We were wondering what the brown spots where on the skin and found out that it is called "russeting" and is common to apples and pears.  It is usually caused by extreme weather conditions and in our case, our drought and humidity were probably the factor.  We'll be peeling them to process them so it should be OK.

We just have them in the same crate, sitting in the corner of the apartment so it will be room temperature.  We left a couple dozen more on the tree to let them go a little longer and see what happens.  The ones we brought in a few weeks ago never softened, they just shriveled up.  This is our first year with having this many so we'll just have to learn as we go.

Now we wait!

7 comments:

  1. These pears will never soften. They are not bred to be eating pears but processing pears. Make great jams and such since they don't cook to a mush. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pears would be great for making pear sauce; just like making apple sauce only using pears instead. Can also dice up some pears and put right in with an apple crisp.
    Next time, if the ground isn't wet, you may need to drive 'Ben' the farm truck close to the tree and just maybe you will be able to reach some of them pears that are taller up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Put the pears in a brown paper bag or cardboard box for about a week in a cool place, and they will soften. I've just finished slicing three dozen or so to freeze, and cook with pork loin. They taste like fried apples when sautéed.
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot stand fresh pears. It is a texture thing. However, some years I picked as many as 120 lbs of pears using a six-foot long pole with a basket for picking fruit. Friends who loved pears said the pears did soften. Pears preserves using hard pears should be great. That is what I made and then loved my pears. You have a very good harvest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a very good first harvest. You have plenty to do whatever you want with them.
    My mom and grandma cut the fresh, hard pears in halves or quarters, then canned them with some sugar water. They were sooo delicious. I looked in my “Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving” and there’s a recipe for that on page 145.
    Some of my friends with pear trees make strudels with fresh, hard pears instead of apples. Then they freeze the strudels until the holidays.

    According to internet research: “ Unlike other common pears, Kieffer pears need a period of chilling before they are ready to be consumed fresh. The pears are harvested while hard on the tree and are put in the fridge or cool storage area for 2-3 weeks. After storage, the pears will begin to soften and can be sliced fresh for a mild, sweet flavor.”

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had a pear tree that had hard pears on it. My Mom peeled and cut into wide slices and canned them. She added a sugar water and a few whole cloves to each jar and cooked them in a water bath. In the winter they were a nice, spiced pear to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my envy at seeing those pears! I use to make "pear honey" spread. I can not find my recipe anywhere! It's been about a decade since I made it. We had that 60 ft old pear tree on the 100 acre woods cottage we rented in between selling one house and buying the next.
    I'm sure you will, or have, plenty of great preserving recipes to utiliE your pears.
    Cheers! Now I'm off to the gardens for more tomatoes to can my bloody mary mix and treasure hunt the grow bags I hope are full of potatoes 🥔.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!