Friday, August 26, 2022

WATERMELON DAYS

You ever just have a craving for something?  The other day, I told 2nd Man "we haven't had any watermelon yet this Summer".  He thought that sounded good too and when I came home from work, he had picked one up at the market near the apartment.


It was so good and satisfying.  Like a lot of people (we think?), we enjoy sprinkling a bit of salt on the slices to help bring out that wonderful flavor.


Not sure if you all have ever used this but we LOVE this salt for things like this.  This is more of a finishing kind of salt, not something you'd use as your everyday salt.  The flakes are large (as you can see in the picture) and it works so well for something like this.  It's also great on chocolate items when you want that "chocolate/sea salt" flavor combo.

And hey, we finally got to use that watermelon knife that we found on clearance late last Summer, ha.  It worked great and it's fun to just have a knife dedicated for something like this.  

We cut the rest of it up into smaller pieces and ate on it for a few more days.  Watermelon is just so refreshing and definitely something we want to grow at the farm garden but, we'll need to be there for plenty of watering while it grows.  Cantelope is our other favorite melon.

Do you all like salt on melon slices?
Or is that a Southern thing?

12 comments:

  1. It depends on the melon. Sometimes I get one so good it doesn't need salt, other times I salt it. Same with muskmelon/cantelope.
    Sadly, I got one melon a couple of months ago. Weirdly the next day it liquified and collapsed overnight. The smell & mess has put me off buying a watermelon for now. Hopefully Muscatine (Iowa) melons will show up in the stores soon and remedy that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was a child, we ate salt on watermelon. When I was about 12, I decided I had never liked salt and quit using salt on my watermelon. Eventually, everyone in my family quit using salt on watermelon! I really hate any amount of salt on watermelon. I also hate salt on chocolate. The only time I like salt on anything, the taste of salt, is French fries and potato chips. Your watermelon looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love watermelon with salt and yes Maldon's is the best for things like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely salt on watermelon but not on Rockyford, CO cantaloupe ... they are so sweet and good, you don't need anything on them.
    I don’t think it's a Southern thing at all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! Watermelon!! I remember having watermelon spitting contests with family (including one grandmother) at my uncle's Virginia farm!
    If you want to grow the best c cantaloupe get Ambrosia Cantaloupe seeds. Easy to grow and the best flavor you can imagine.
    Wishing y'all well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm a nothern girl and i love salt on my watermelon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That watermelon looks so refreshing. No salt for me. I grew up spending the summer eating watermelons because my grandparents raised acres of them for sale. Mmm!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just like a great marriage; watermelon and salt go hand in hand; just meant to be together.
    Enjoy having a good Cantelope every now and then, sprinkled with just a little salt and pepper and every once in a great while; omitting the seasoning and having a scoop of vanilla ice cream to go with a nice big slice. Enjoy eating a good Honey Dew melon as well; hubby, not so much.
    Have a great day, along with a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love watermelon but I don't like salt on watermelon or fruit of any kind. Same with putting salt on anything sweet... no thank you. I never new there was such a thing as a watermelon knife. I misplaced my favorite knife used for cutting watermelon. It's probably somewhere mixed in with all my other kitchen utensils so now I will search for a watermelon knife like yours to buy:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unable to find the watermelon knife in stores; you can get one on Amazon

      https://www.amazon.com/Uniware-Watermelon-Knife-Blade-Stainless/dp/B07WG988VN/ref=asc_df_B07WG988VN/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=508020475190&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12622236222106762251&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9027193&hvtargid=pla-1301024381501&psc=1

      Delete
  10. Definitely a salt on watermelon and pepper on cantaloupe person.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a plain watermelon person, but my husband puts salt on his.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!