Monday, August 29, 2022

ONE OF THOSE DAYS

What a difference some rain makes...check this out:


Got to the farm Saturday and it was green again.  That's why we never really worry if the grass turns brown during a drought or freeze, it always comes back.  "Country grass" seems to be like that, such a mixture of things, it just stays green as soon as it gets water.  This was pretty thick and with more rain in the forecast this week, I figured I better go ahead and mow.

I got on the mower to start it and...dead again.  I had to remove the brush guard on the front end to be able to open the hood again and then use the charger to jumpstart it.  It started after a couple of tries and I put everything back in place and then started mowing.

The grass was a bit damp from the morning dew but I was able to mow for a bit until...


....after about 40 minutes, it started sputtering and feeling like it was going to die.  When I turned off the mower deck it would keep running.  I tried to keep mowing by turning it on for a bit and mowing then off again when it felt like it would die but after a few minutes of that, I figured I better get it in the shed while it had power in case it completely died.


I mowed the entire driveway except for this section you can see in the picture above.


I got the front mowed and the back mowed and all around the outbuildings but this was another section I had to skip.  At least I got "most" of it done. 

Oh and I did NOT get on the trails, with the way the day was starting, I did not want to get the mower stuck on top of everything else, ha.

Then I decided to get the trimmer and go around the house and buildings and fruit trees.

Got the buildings done first...


...and here they are, looking nice and neat and tidy.

Then I went to go around the fruit tree beds and about halfway through, I ran out of trimmer line and when I went to the shed to get more, I realized I was completely out.  Sigh.

I put the trimmer up and decided to use the little electric mower around the raised beds and realized I had forgotten to fully charge it the last time I put it up.  I mowed as much as I could until it ran out of juice (which was most of it, thankfully).

The last thing I needed to do was water the plants on the porch.  I moved the galvanized tub that the banana plants are in (I rotate it every week so they get even amounts of sun) and behind it was a snake.  

Needless to say, I didn't stop and take the time to get a picture, LOL, but it it slithered off the porch and into the brush.  It was a harmless brown grass snake.


By this time it was 4pm and 94 degrees with a feels like of 106 (Summer definitely not over yet).  I decided it was a good time to head home.  See yesterday's post for the wonderful meal 2nd Man had waiting for me.

Overall it was good just a few things not going according to plan but hey, I just need to get get a new battery, some more trimmer line, and make sure I plug in electric mower first thing when we get there.

Oh, and check for snakes...😁

10 comments:

  1. Nice to see green grass once again. After receiving over 5 inches of rain on Friday, our yard sure has greened up and cracks filled.
    Know what you mean when you mentioned; 'it was one of those days.'
    Hubby went to mow our yard yesterday, put gas in the tank and found out that the gas was leaking out around the seam of the tank, so he had to drain some out till it was below the seam line before he could mow. Needless to say we had to order a new gas tank for our rider. :-{ Won't be here until the 16th. Our original tank has been discontinued so they will be sending a replacement.
    Last week our septic aerator went out, so had to have it replaced. Seamed like if one thing broke down; 3 more things would break. August was an expensive month. Hopefully September will be better with any luck at all.
    Enjoy your day / evening and have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had some more rain on and off this week. It's nice. Sorry about your weekend too. It does seem like those things always happen all at once huh? Hope you get it all fixed. I'm tracking down a battery. Hope that solves the problem.

      Delete
  2. The green grass looks so nice. I'm sure you're thankful for the rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It greens up nicely for sure. Yes, the rain is a blessing, for the plants and trees, for the aquifers, the crops at farms, the livestock and wildlife, it's needed.

      Delete
  3. We had a couple of days like that, but it was the starter on the car. We had to use a little portable charger that we can use in any parking lot, thankfully. I am glad you could take care of it and did not have to leave it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you hate days like that? Yes, I was most worried about that, it's so heavy, if it died acres away from the shed that would not have been good, ha.

      Delete
  4. We're good and green here to. I understand not wanting the mower to quit on the outskirts. Love the cute red barns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that! We love our outbuildings. When we get the house done, new or remodel, we think we're going with the same colors. Glad you are green now and have some rain.

      Delete
  5. Green grass again - finally! So beautiful.

    Wow, you had one thing after another happen. And to top it all off, you had a snake encounter! Yep, time to go home after all that.

    Thankfully, you had 2nd Man’s wonderful meal waiting for you. Ahhh, a great way to end your terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad day at the Farm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yep, it was a pain but I got most things done, just not to completion, ha. 75% of each project. I guess that's better than zero, ha.

      Delete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!