Friday, August 17, 2012

THE ORANGE AND YELLOW FLOWERS OF TEXAS LANTANA

Wild Lantana
Found this growing wild on the property the other day.

I knew what it was when I saw it, as I've grown (on purpose) its more common cousins that you find at the garden centers.  I did double check though to confirm in my WILDFLOWERS BOOK that it was indeed lantana.  This particular variety is actually called "Texas lantana" or lantana horrida.  It's slightly different than the more common wild lantana and the lantana that, as I mentioned earlier, that you can buy at the garden centers in a multitude of colors.

This one was growing in the corner by the fence and it's just so vibrant with its orange, red and yellow colors.  I love the contrast of the old fence post and the bright, sunshiny colors.

I'm sure if I tried to cultivate this elsewhere on the property it wouldn't work but I might just have to try because I'd love to have this closer to the house where I could see it on a regular basis.  Right now it's at one of the furthest points away on the property.  I'll just have to see if I can figure out how to root some cuttings.  It can't be that hard, ha.  Stay tuned!

3 comments:

  1. Oh how I love lantana. I didn't know there was a wild variety. That's too cool. I think they are easy to root from cuttings but i could be wrong, hahaha.

    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I , on the other hand don't think you could kill it with Roundup. Not that I'd try because I move it all over on my farm

    ReplyDelete
  3. To find out how to root cuttings, go here:

    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/propa/ .

    While I'm thinking about it, if you do Facebook. you might like this gardening group. Great bunch of people, and very informative:

    https://www.facebook.com/groups/OccupytheDirt/

    Still love your blog, even though I don't visit as much as I used to. Keep it coming, love reading what you're up to!

    sb158

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!