Friday, August 31, 2012

ONCE IN A BLUE MOON WE BID A HERO FAREWELL

Blue Moon - color enhanced photo courtesy of space.com
Today is a relatively uncommon occurrence...there is a Blue Moon.

OK, OK, so the moon is not actually blue, that's a name that came about years ago.  Simply put, the Blue Moon refers to the second full moon in a one month period.  Normally of course, there is just one full moon in a month, so there would be twelve per year.  This year, the first full moon was on Aug 2nd and today, the 31st, is the second one.  We'll have thirteen full moons this year.

The last one occurred in December 2009.  If you miss this today, you'll have to wait around until July 2015 for the next one.  It is this long period of time that helped coin the phrase "once in a blue moon", to describe a rare/unusual event.

When was the last time you said something only gets done once in a blue moon?  Well today is your chance!  Do it!

Ironically, today is also when the first man on the moon, Neil Armstrong, is being laid to rest in a private ceremony.  Sadly, he passed away last weekend after complications from heart surgery.  I was still a small child when he first set foot upon the moon, but in the years following, I considered him to be one of my greatest heroes.  My parents had a house built when I was about 6, and I asked for a NASA themed bedroom.  I got Apollo 11 wallpaper and red white and blue shag carpet (hey, it was the 70's).  I had space pictures everywhere, and built model kits of rockets and hung them from my ceiling.  For a brief few years, I wanted to be an astronaut (along with most of my friends).
He inspired a generation and his heroism, and those at NASA that helped put him there, will not be forgotten.

His family released this statement:

"For those who may ask what they can do to honor Neil, we have a simple request.
Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink."  ---  Armstrong Family

I think that's a pretty neat thing to do tonight.
What will you do with your blue moon?

2 comments:

  1. Godspeed Neil, Godspeed....

    ReplyDelete
  2. RIP Brave Pioneer ... Guess we have a real "Man in the Moon" now :) Laura

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!