Wednesday, April 25, 2012

CLEARING THE FENCE LINE

Property view looking North
I wish I could take credit for this work, but 2nd Family borrowed a tractor and bush hog (or is it brush hog?) attachment from a neighbor and did this for us, clearing a path all along the fence lines.  He also cleared some paths through the brush all over the property to make it easier to walk, which is awesome and so I thought I'd share some pictures of the property.  Here, I walked about halfway down the fence line and turned one direction to snap a picture and then, standing in the same spot, turned and faced the other direction, hence these two photos.  You can see in the one above where the house in in relation to where I was standing, and in the photo below, how far down the main road is.  The property is sort of wedge shaped, wider at the front by the road and narrower at the back where the house is.  It will be years before we get this all cleared, but for now, I like the random, natural look.  It's kind of nice having such a natural buffer between the road at the house, it certainly makes for privacy and part of what I like doing, as you've seen in other photos, is just exploring and seeing what all we have on the property.  There might be all sorts of hidden gems for us to find; plants, flowers, animals, cool trees we didn't know we had, etc.

Of course, you can see on the other side of the fence, it's a cattle grazing property and it's pretty much cleared and, for the most part, treeless.  On our side, we'll keep the area around the house clear with a yard and put in our gardens and fruit trees and all that fun stuff we have on our bucket list, but this part can remain as it is for wildlife and left alone.  I will use the John Deere mower to keep this, and the other paths, mowed and maybe things will just naturally adapt, leaving the paths as they are.  I'll share some more photos later of various other parts of the property, including the really exciting part, a natural "pond site" that we got close to last weekend for the first time. 

Property view looking South

15 comments:

  1. Maybe you can mow the yard and sell that grass for catle feed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, not a bad idea! Make a little 'seed money' (literally, lol). The drought was so bad last year, none of this was even growing. It's amazing what rain will do and nature comes back.

      Delete
  2. Cool - snake cleared ground as well as a fire break - always wise :)

    But, allowing the natural ground cover to continue ensures your lands eco-habitat is on-going and secure, and soil erosion is kept at bay, or to a minimum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks for the snake reminder, LOL! Fire break I never even thought about, great point (and there were some wildfires last year in the area). That is sort of what we thought about the eco-habitat, keeping things as they are. I like that concept, because it's a good thing for everything that lives on the property ('cept maybe the snakes, ha)

      Delete
  3. You have acreS and I have acre, but I know the exploration thrill you're having. I don't know how people stand those perfectly manicured suburban homesites, although I lived that way for years. On this acre, there are wildflowers, all kinds of shrubs and trees too thick to walk through, and maybe best of all -- rocks. Did you ever try to find a rock on a perfectly manicured lawn? There's even a chunk of pink marble down by the gravel driveway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you (and all the others) "get it". It's something that's always appealed to me. When I was little I could find a wooded area wherever we lived (we moved around a lot) and spend all day roaming around. I think I"m going to be doing that here, quite often.

      Funny too, I used to "collect" rocks. Hmmm, might have to start up that hobby again! :-)

      Delete
  4. Lovely view of your Ponderosa Ben Cartright ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! You made me laugh...I can totally here the theme song in my head! And next time I'm out there roaming around, I'll be humming along. MIght need to load that onto my iPod for the next mowing, haha.

      Delete
  5. I am tired from just looking at it! That be a fair walk in any direction. Quite lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS a walk, that's for sure. But it's fun and I love every moment of it!

      Delete
  6. I love that you're going to leave most of it to grow naturally. Hubby and I argue over the "weeds" in our (tiny, microscopic) yard all the time...I love them, he definitely does not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I like the natural look and keeping everything more or less as it is. Not to say we won't have paths and cleared areas around trees, I do want it to be usable, but it should stay a little like it always has been, at least that's what I feel like, ha.

      Delete
  7. What's the overall property dimensions? Length/width & Acreage??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I get the 10acre part but how is it laid out with the WxL?

      Delete
    2. You know, I"m not sure just from memory. Let me check that out this weekend on my closing docs from last year and I'll let you know. :-)

      Delete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!