Sunday, April 29, 2012

VINTAGE POSTER SUNDAY, USE SPADES NOT SHIPS

Image courtesy of: Kennedy Museum Exhibition
I just love this poster.  Talk about a great graphic design.  Speaking of, it is by famed British graphic designer Abram Games, whose work spanned over six decades.  This was, of course, popular during WWII and the point was to get people to grow their own food, so that the ships and related supplies could be used for other purposes during the War.

This poster is nicely done, I love the contrast of the spade on one half and a ship on the other, and then the rows of crops on one half and the ocean waves on the other side.  Too cool.

"Use Spades, Not Ships".  Makes sense to me.  Nothing could be a truer sense of being a "Locavore" than what this says.  Today, we might say, grow your own, use spades, not delivery trucks, airplanes, cargo containers, and well, you get the picture, ha.

Enjoy and as always, just click on the "history" label below and view all the ones I've posted, every Sunday since early last year.

2 comments:

  1. Nice Poster find. Wouldnt it be interesting if they created green houses on the deck and grew hydroponic food for everyone on board. - cloud

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!