Sunday, April 22, 2012

DEWBERRY PICKING PARTY

Today is DEWBERRY PICKING DAY.  We're so excited.  I've picked some the last couple of weekends, but today, as you read this, two friends I used to work with are coming out to visit...so we're having a picking party.
Large Dewberry patch
Above is one of the patches we'll visit.  They are all over the property just like this.  This, however, will probably be the last good weekend for them, though with the rain we got Friday, we might squeeze in one more weekend.

I'll have an update later this evening when we get back and let you know how the haul went.  Here is how they looked just the other day:
Closeup of ripe Dewberries
Lots of ripe berries just waiting to be eaten!  Fingers crossed.

Sadly though, as with all good things in nature, they are fleeting.  Still, it's awesome to eat something that is just growing wild all over the property.

We'll pick them and then wash and freeze them (more on that in a post this week) in vacuum packed, two cup measurements for future use.  Dewberries are great in cobblers, pies, fresh and of course they make great jelly.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

6 comments:

  1. YUMM! That's one party I'd love to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, wish we could have had you there, it was fun. More on that this week. :-)

      Delete
  2. omg...I am drooling! Now I am JEALOUS!!! Dewberry jam? yum...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of them, might have one more weekend with some ready, want to gather and freeze as many as possible. Jam/jelly is on the radar...

      Delete
  3. What an awesome patch! and all yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That's the best part. Too bad man can't live by dewberries alone huh? LOL!

      Delete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!