Wednesday, August 31, 2011

CHECK OUT YOUR COUNTY EXTENSION OFFICE

Great state of Texas
I recently stumbled across some great advice I thought I'd share.  Almost every county in the United States has a County Extension Office.  A simple Google search of your county name and extension office should find yours.  I say "most" because smaller counties may combine with other counties around it, but you should be able to find one. 

Once you are there, look around under the gardening/agriculture sections, and most of the time, they will have a list of the best plants suited/adapted for your particular county.  I know in Texas at least, the weather can vary from county to county, for example, one may get more freezes than another, so certain plants are better suited for that area. 

I found the one for the county that our farm is in and found two awesome lists.  One was called "Home Fruit and Nut Varieties" and the other was "Suggested Vegetable Planting Guide", both for our county.  I printed them out and am now planning some purchases.

I'm hoping a neighborhood nursery will have the things I want.  By the way, if you live in Houston, swing by and pay them a visit, Buchanan's Native Plants, an awesome place.

Anyway, I'm thinking of getting some plants now, hopefully snag some end of Summer specials, then I can care for them through the Winter very easily in the city, and then plant them at the farm next Spring. I'm on a mission now to get a couple of Fig trees and some Muscadine grapes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!