Monday, August 22, 2011

WATERMELON RADISH

How pretty is THIS??

Watermelon Radish
This is a vegetable I've never had before but saw it on a recent tv cooking show and thought I needed to research it some more.  It might be something cool (and unsual) to grow on the farm.

It gets it's name of course from the fact that you slice it open and it's got the brilliant pink interior that looks more like a Watermelon that a Radish.


The are very easy to grow (as are most radishes) and seeds can be found almost anywhere.  Their flavor is said to be much sweeter and not as "spicy" as regular radishes.  Radishes are divided into Spring and Winter, these fall into the Spring category.  That gives me hope that we might be able to have some at the farm next Spring.  I'll see if I can sneak it onto our "must have" list of things to grow.

As for cooking, they can creamed and served as a side dish, added to stir fries, braised and sauteed, pickled, diced and put into soups and stews, served with dressing in a salad, or even raw in a vegetable platter.  Don't be afraid to try something new, you might just have a brand new favorite!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!