Monday, July 2, 2012

HARVEST TIME BUT NOT MINE


Well, these are our veggies but not from our garden.  2nd Family, that lives at the front of the property, has a pretty nice garden going and needless to say, they have an overabundance of fresh produce.  Because of that, they are more than happy to share it all with us (along with lots of fresh eggs) and so every time we're out there, we are told to help ourselves if they aren't there or they will bring us a big bag full of goodies.

This weekend they gave us a huge bag full of juicy ripe tomatoes, a few cherry tomatoes, some cucumbers, a zucchini or two in the bottom, some green bell peppers, banana peppers and a few jalapenos.  At our raised beds in town, we have a few tomatoes close to ripening and are getting several asian eggplants per week.  We're not canning, but we are eating well.

We've had a few good meals using them already.  2nd Man just goes in, starts dicing up veggies, making rice, or pasta, or whatever, throws some more ingredients in with it and out comes something delicious.  For example, one night he diced up tomatoes, peppers (banana, jalapeno, and bell), along with an onion we already had, cooked some white rice, mixed it all together with some shredded cheese, and baked it in the oven like a casserole.  Delicious!

20 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. They were! Ha, now that they are gone, haha.

      Delete
  2. Those veggies look gorgeous! In the next few weeks I will be able to begin to harvest what I have and I cannot wait. Nothing like something on your plate that has come from a few metres away in your garden (or neighbours garden). Oh this is a great time of year for growing and eating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited to see what you are able to harvest, that should be fun! Yes, nothing like something fresh like that and so very rewarding!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Yum in past tense and now gone. :-( Ha. More coming soon!!

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous looking peppers and tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do grow some great veggies, their ground in their garden patch has been worked for a few years now and they add compost and all sorts of good stuff and they've got quite the nice patch going. We're hoping for more!!

      Delete
  5. gorgeous produce and i do not feel bad calling you and Second Man "lucky dawgs" to be getting so much deelishous food - you lucky dawgs - bahahahahah!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so pissed off.... been so wet here ( the wettist and dullest june on record) that many things are not growing as they should.... bugger!

      Delete
    2. We'll take lucky dawgs, nothing wrong with that! LOL!

      Delete
    3. I'm sorry y'all have been having such yucky weather. It will clear up soon, I know it. Then you'll have some awesome things growing! And be sure to let us see!

      Delete
  6. I'm moving in with you. I hate cooking, but I love you and 2nd man!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, you're too sweet. I can say without a doubt, he loves to cook. And fortunately, I love to eat!! Ha.

      Delete
  7. Can't wait for mine to come out ! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soon! You'll have a wonderful harvest, and I can't wait to see it!! :-)

      Delete
  8. Don't you love having friends that garden...and share!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More than you know! Ha. Yes, they are awesome to share with us and next Spring, we'll return it in spades!!

      Delete
  9. I stumbled upon your blog and love it. I love blogs with meat (lots of information) and I loved reading your About page. Your place sounds like a piece of heaven. I am no stranger to blogs but recently started a blog about our Journey to growing produce in a subdivision in Tennessee. I love a landscape that gives back.

    I look forward to reading more!

    www.growitathome.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you, and of course, welcome! I just visited your blog and love it! How inspiring you are to others as well. Heck it's inspiring to me. I added you to the blog roll and I urge readers to check out your blog, lots of great info and wonderful pictures!! Thank you again!!!

      Delete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!