Monday, June 6, 2011

AND SO IT BEGINS

Because of my back pain the last few weeks, we have not been able to do much of anything at the farm.
In fact, we haven't been out there in almost 4 weeks!

But after some home remedy treatments I discovered (more on that in a future post), my pain has virtually disappeared over this past weekend so it's time to get back on track with our farm plans.

So today, I am meeting the foundation people out there to see about getting the house nice and level.


For those not familiar, pier and beam homes are the kind that are not built on a concrete slab.  Typically, any older home, especially a rural one, will be pier and beam.  There are "piers" as shown above, and the "beams" of the house rest on these piers.  As ground moves and shifts, which is normal, the piers can move as well and you'll see doors that are maybe harder to shut, or tiny cracks in the walls around window frames, etc.  I know it sounds bad, but it's really not that bad.

Typically all that is required every few years is for a house leveler to come out and they determine how far it needs to be adjusted, somethings it's maybe only a quarter or half inch, and they jack it up slightly and usually insert shims between the top of the pier and the beam.

We know there needs to be some work done because we are experiencing the sticking doors and have some cracks and gaps, so before we do sheetrock and painting and buy new doors and put down flooring and things like that, the very first thing to do is to get the house level.

Fingers crossed it's all reasonable, and hopefully now things will start to happen fast!

More when I get back!

1 comment:

  1. Not an option here. We have basements. Much harder to level. One day I might have the money to do that, but then everything in my 80+ year old house will shift drastically.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!