Monday, June 27, 2011

WE HAVE PECAN TREES

Scrumptious Pecans
One thing we always knew we wanted on the farm were Pecan trees.  While growing up, I often spent Summers with my Grandparents who always had several pecan trees on their property.  They regularly produced 5 gallon buckets FULL of pecans (several buckets every year).

So the other day, I was at Wal-Mart and parked near the roped off part of the lot that they use as a garden center overflow.  I decided to wander through there on my way in, and I happened upon a section that had a sign that read,
"Fruit Tree Clearance!".

I looked, and lo and behold, there were two pecan trees!

The pecan trees
I got online while I was there (I love mobile technology) to see what the best varieties were for the Houston area.  Remember, always look for trees/veggies/flower varieties that are best suited for your part of the country, especially when purchasing at "big box" type retailers.

The two trees they had were different, one was the "Choctaw", and the other was the "Desirable".
Turns out those are two of the recommended varieties for our area.



So, needless to say, I purchased them both, originally listed at $29.98, I snagged them for $7 each!!

I'll baby them in the back yard in the city, maybe put them into bigger containers, until I can get them ready to plant at their permanent home at the farm.
And best of all, look at this:

We have pecans
They both already have pecans on them!  I will take that as a good sign.

I love finding these kinds of deals.  You just have to keep your eyes peeled!

Once I plant them in their permanent home at the farm, I'll celebrate by cooking (and then posting about)
our special pecan pie recipe, at the risk of sounding biased, it's wonderful!

Good luck!

1 comment:

  1. What a nice story. I just moved to MS and the big tree right behind my house turns out to be a pecan tree. I want to make more trees and found a little start. I think it is a pecan and was looking for what a baby pecan tree looks like and found your site.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!