Saturday, June 18, 2011

THE REALLY COOL AND DELICIOUS ZEPHYR SQUASH

Have you seen this squash?
It's pretty cool, I hadn't heard of it, but the other day, we were at 
Hubbell and Hudson and they had this squash.  I love the look of it.


We bought some, and brought it home.  2nd Man cooked it very simply, sliced, and sauteed lightly in some butter, just to test it's flavor without other flavors overpowering it.  It's a slightly nutty squash, very tasty, firm, and downright delicious.  I really wouldn't think it's much different than a regular yellow squash, and could even substitute for a zucchini in a pinch.  Anything you can do with regular squash, you could do with this.

One thing I'm doing, and have been doing, is to create a list of the vegetables we want to grow at the farm.  I'll share that list later on, but I've definitely added this wonderful vegetable to it.
It's considered a Summer squash,
has an open growth habit making it easy to harvest,
and is supposed to be very prolific.
I can't wait to grow these.  It might even be fun to try to can them somehow.
And I'm sure 2nd Man can fry it, saute it, steam it, casserole it, bake it and otherwise cook it into something great.
I'm sure experimenting will be half the fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!