Monday, September 26, 2011

RETHINKING THE DINING ROOM LIGHTING

Czech Wall Oil Lamp
Several months ago, I posted a blog entry HERE about finding a cool chandelier.  Upon having the dining room redone recently, and getting our new table, we realized that the candle/chandelier would hang too low over the table.  That roof slopes downward and that fixture would just be right in the way, hanging about midway to the table.  When standing up, you'd see the tops of the bulbs and that wouldn't be good.  So alas, we had to scratch that original plan.  We do have, however, an alternative; we've decided to go retro and not use ANY electrical lighting in that room.  Yep, we'll be "lighting it old school", and using oil lanterns hanging on the walls.  We found these in my favorite catalog, and they are just perfect.  We're going to put one in between each window.  It should make for some nice ambiance for dinner parties.  There is so much light during the day, flooding in through those windows, we will only need light at night and we think this will work perfectly.  I just ordered five of them and they should be here in about a week.  It will really fit in with the farmhouse theme, and it should be a fun way to see if we don't always need to rely on electricity. 

Click to enlarge
Of course, when 2nd Man and I are eating, it will probably be on the porch or under a tree, but when we have guests over, we'll often be in the dining room and use both these and candles on the table.  Can't wait to put them up and see how well they work. When I do, I'll be sure and post pictures.

1 comment:

  1. Very cool. I have some pictures to send you. I found a cool photo spread on fall table setting. It would be very neat under your party tree. Not doable here in the fall :(

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!