Monday, November 28, 2011

WINDOWSILL GARDENS AND PLANTS


With Winter approaching (and already here with a blast for a lot of you!) our thoughts turn to keeping the green going.  One way to do that is to grow plants inside during those cold and dreary months.  One of the best places to do this is often a kitchen window, since it's usually over the sink.  That makes for ease of watering, sunlight for the plants, and gives you something nice to look at while standing there washing dishes.

At our house in the city, we do have a kitchen window sink, but it's ledge is pretty much non existent.  Maybe an inch wide at the most.  At the farm however, we have a nice, deep ledge above the kitchen sink so lately, I've been looking for ideas on how to keep some green plants going inside.
Here is some of what I found:

Vintage Coffee Can Garden
This is not in a windowsill but of course could be put in one very easily.  It's a collection of succulents growing in vintage coffee cans.  Very neat and colorful with all the graphics of the labels on the cans.  I'm sure cans like this could be found on sites such as eBay or Etsy and of course garage sales.  Very pretty.
 
Windowsill Garden Using Colored Glass Bottles
This is always a good choice, especially for a sunny window ledge.  This one uses colored glass bottles as vases.  The nice thing about this is that the glass acts almost as if it was a stained glass window, and when sunlight streams in, you get the nice color of the bottles as well. 

Twinnings Tea Windowsill Plantings
This one we love.  I don't know what it is, maybe the colors of the tins?  Or the retro style of the containers?  The square shapes?  Whatever it is, we just like the look.  Again, these would probably have to be found online at an auction type website if you couldn't find any in the stores.

Air Plants in Glass Beakers Windowsill Garden
This one is definitely unusual.  In this one, the person put air plants that grow without much watering (just an occasional spritzing of mist is all that's needed) inside laboratory style glass beakers.  I suppose you could put soil in them as well, but remember not to over water since the water can't drain out. 


Windowsill Herb Garden
And of course, you can always just use pots or containers of the same color, shape, and style in order to keep a more uniform look.  These are all white (might actually even be plastic?) and they are growing herbs.


The only thing left to decide after you pick your container is what will you grow in it? As you can see in the above pictures, you can grow just about anything with enough light and water.  Air plants, succulents, herbs, cuttings from other plants that you are trying to root, even flowers
(African Violets are a great choice for that).

Make sure that whatever you use, there is proper drainage.  If you use the vintage containers, there needs to be a hole in the bottom so water drains out.  What a lot of people do is put them in the sink to water them, wait for them to drain and then put them back in the window. You can of course also use something with a saucer.


I haven't yet decided what we will do, but all of these are nice.  

6 comments:

  1. Wish I had windowsills to do this with. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly - What? No windowsills at all? I'm sorry. Of course, our windowsills at the farm are not very deep either. We have the one that would work best, the kitchen window. Only down side is it's a bit shaded, being on the porch but it might be enough. We'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you don't have windowsills you can always mount a narrow shelf with decorative brackets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tonya - You know, that's a perfect solution! Just a narrow shelf, maybe painted the same color as your window trim, and you have an automatic windowsill for plants! Hmmm, now I might have to rethink our windows...thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this ideal. I have a lot of vintage containers. What a great ideal, I am going to steal it. It would look good on my outdoor bakers rack. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am afraid all of the plants I have in the house are not as decorative as these ideas. The are on racks in front of the only 2 areas I have that get sun.

    I do however have an Aero Garden that I grow my herbs in all winter. My standard house plants are all in hanging baskets.

    I would however be careful with those nice retro containers however if there is no way for the soil to drain. It is imperative that a container can drain or you run the risk of loosing the plant to rot.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!